Monday, October 10, 2005



THE CASTLE OF MONTERREI


Monterrei is located in Verín (Ourense), near Portugal. It takes forty minutes from Ourense. I have chosen this village because there is a fortress which is preserved intact: the historical Castle of Monterrei. This beautiful medieval bastion served as a refuge for Pedro I El Cruel while fleeing from his brother Enrique II de Trastámara.

The castle is on the top of the mountain, you can get there by car, although the road is not good. Inside the fortress there are old houses; when I was young I remember that some people lived there. Few years ago, when the last neighbour died, the council forbad living there. I think it is a very reasonable. All the constructions are made of stone and the way is not asphalted.

The castle opens Wednesday to Sunday. At the entrance in the patio, you can find a tourist guide that explains the castle’s history and he shows the rooms, the homage tower and the chapel.

It is one of the most important monuments of the province. It is a quiet place which you can enjoy impressive panoramic views over the town of Verín and the vineyards. I must tell you that this summer the countryside was devastated by the fire. What a pity! In despite of it, the castle has a charmed atmosphere

By Igne

4 Comments:

At 3:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have never gone to the castle, but i think go to visit, because it seems interesting. In the history i think people lived in it.Also in the castle i can see all the village, i think that it can be a nice view.

 
At 4:42 AM, Anonymous ShiM said...

I was in the Castle of Monterrey this summer. It`s a very beautiful building and it is in a good conserved state. The views are very nice, you can see all the village of Verin from there!

 
At 8:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would like to visit Ribadeo, especially the "Cathedrals´ beach" because I could see a espectacular illustrated report at TV a short time ago. For this reason and also because I like the natural spaces very much I would like to visit this beach.Finally, If I go there any time I will try pasta, as you say in the text.

 
At 8:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As you say in the text, the castle is preserved intact but the surroundings are absoluty destroyed because of the fire. Everything around the castle is burnt since this summer. The fire was deliberated and I think that the surroundings will never be the same.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home